Averaged cornbread recipe, given a lack of shortening and buttermilk
Preheat oven containing pan/skillet to 425°F (218°C).
- at least 1C corn meal and enough flour to make 2C (473ml) total
- 3/4 tsp salt (3.7ml)
- 6tsp sugar (30ml) (range was 0--16tsp)
- 3.5tsp baking powder (17ml)
- 1C milk (237ml)
- 2 eggs (rounded up from 1.5)
- 3-4T (45-60ml) of fat (shortening, butter, veg oil)
- Optional: Up to a cup of cooked food (onions, creamed corn, capsicum, whatever)
Mix ingredients, but don't overstir. Oil pan well. Pour batter into pan and bake for 20 minutes or so.
Taxonomy upgrade extras: