Submitted by wtanaka on Tue, 2006-08-22 01:41 (
Instructions for bypassing the Great Firewall of China
- Download and install Tor.
Windows Mac Linux (Fedora Core 5) windows instructions mac instructions
sudo yum install torIf that doesn't work for you, this might:
sudo rpm -Uvh http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/dries.ulyssis.org/fedora/fc5/i386/RPMS.dries/tor-0.1.1.23-1.fc5.rf.i386.rpm
- Use Firefox.
It's superior to current versions of Internet Explorer and Safari. Anyway, to follow these instructions, you need to be using Firefox because there's an extension that you need. You'll want Firefox version 1.5 or greater.
- From within Firefox, download and install FoxyProxy
- If you have switchproxy installed, uninstall it (Tools » Extensions).
- Restart Firefox to complete the installation of FoxyProxy.
- Go through the series of dialogs that pop up asking you if you want to set up Tor, and restart firefox again when it tells you to.
- Bring up the FoxyProxy Options Dialog (Ctrl-F2). Select the Proxies tab. Select the "Tor" line. Press "Edit Selection".
- These patterns define which websites you'll want to use via Tor. Press "Add New Pattern".
- As an example, let's have all requests to Wikipedia go through Tor, since Wikipedia is blocked. For the Name, enter
Wikipedia. For "URL or URL pattern", enter
http://*.wikipedia.org/*. Then make sure "Whitelist" and "Wildcards" are selected and press "OK".
- You may want to select the Google Mail pattern and press "Delete Selection" if you don't want your google mail traffic going through tor.
Now, if Tor is running, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/, and it should work.